Friday, February 3, 2012

Penguin Puzzlers and Cookie Baking


I forgot about these matching cards that I used in my classroom until Mr. Two pulled them out of my January box yesterday morning.  I originally had my kindergarteners play concentration with them, but today, I had Mr. Two match up the number card with the corresponding number of penguins card. 

He loved doing this, and I was pleasantly surprised that, not only did he count correctly all the way to 15, but could identify the numbers 6 through 15.


A few tips for making your own card games.

Chart stickers are perfect for making math games, as they are inexpensive and you can fit lots onto a card.


When you are placing stickers on a card for your child to count, try and line the items up in rows, rather than randomly, so that it will be easier for them to count and keep track of which items have already been counted.

Laminate your cards so that you will get many uses out of them.

Want to add some fun penguin stories to this activity?  Go here for my list of favorite penguin books.


I also spent some time yesterday afternoon with Mr. Three (who decided not to take a nap) baking cookies. 

 

He loved dumping in the ingredients and helping mix them all together.

The best part? 

 

Eating one, of course!  It's exciting to have this little guy want to help in the kitchen.  What a sweet day!

1 comment:

  1. You are such a great mom. I remember you love penguins too. The cookies look yummy, cooked or not.

    ReplyDelete