Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Hero


We're still on the hunt for steady work, which means we are still riding the frugal train. Sigh. I miss the mall. And Target. And the Dollar Tree. Pinch pennies we must, but live without recognizing important events, we must not. Father's Day offered no shiny new electronics, or snazzy new clothes. What can you give the men who give daily to you, when you have no money? Along with a good home-cooked meal and a handmade card, here is my humble attempt to say thank you.

To my dad, you gave me a model of manhood to hold as a standard. You encourage. You endured endless hours of math and science tutoring to an over-achieving and tired teenager who desperately wanted to keep that A. You provide advice and strength. You love me and my family and let us invade your home regularly.

To my wonderful grandpas, who are not here physically, but still influence me today. To Grandpa Carpenter, who was the purest example of selfless service I know in this mortal life. To Grandpa Smith, who I wish was still here to offer sound financial and spiritual advice during this turbulent time we are in.

To my father in law, who quietly supports and listens. Who gave my husband a shining example of fatherhood to follow.

To my own personal superhero, my husband. Growing up, I fantasized about being swept off my feet by a prince, of being rescued from certain danger by a mysterious masked man. My prince came. He swept me off my feet our freshman year at ASU. I was smitten and there was no going back. We married shortly after my college graduation, and I felt my childhood fantasies fulfilled. Little did I know that this handsome Prince Charming would also moonlight as my superhero as well. A little after a year of marriage, he saved my life, literally. He rescued me from a real danger. He rushed me to the ER when I insisted I was just feeling a little under the weather. I wasn't just a bit sick, I was in real trouble and he had the strength to listen to Inspiration and act. You cannot put gratitude for something like that into words. So now, even when times are tough, and things aren't going according to plan (isn't that the way it is so often?), I can't help but look at him and smile. I have my own superhero, the father of my children, the love of my life, right here next to me. And I sleep well, knowing he is watching out for me, safe in his arms. Always.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder that money doesn't buy everything. You have the most important things. Thanks for the sweet words. We are so grateful you found your superhero too, and that he is part of our family!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful post. Your boys are lucky to grow with so many positive role models. I hope that financial difficulties will pass soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sweet post!! So sad I never met grandpa Carpenter. Thanks for that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post! I hope your money troubles are over soon. Thank goodness you have each other and a strong relationship to get through tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I have to say is you made me cry (in a good way)! Thanks Diana! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post. Good luck with the job hunt, I love your positive outlook.

    I met my husband freshman year of college too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This year for Father's Day, we gave the gift of memorization. The kids each memorized a scripture and recited it for dad and I memorized 2 love poems. He loved it and even though there were no bought gifts, it was a special day.
    Thanks for sharing a little about all the Fathers in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the best posts ever! You and Mike are both so great Diana :)

    ReplyDelete