Saturday, October 31, 2009

Not Tricky, Just a Treat

I wanted to try out this jello idea.  Then, life happened.  I didn't read the instructions well enough and didn't start the night before.  I also didn't have any whipping cream or unflavored gelatin on hand.  I also rationalized that my kids would probably be grossed out by this and refuse to eat it.  Maybe next year...

So, because I am in charge of a jello side for our annual family Halloween dinner tonight,(I can't wait!) I thought up this little concoction on my own as a pleasing substitute.



Candy Corn Jello

1 6 oz. box of Lemon (or Pineapple) Jello
1 6 oz. box of Orange (or Peach) Jello
1 8 oz. container of Cool Whip

Prepare the Lemon Jello, using the directions on the box.  Pour into large bowl and refrigerate to set.  (I used my medium sized Pyrex bowl.)

After the Lemon Jello is set (or close to it, about 4 hours), prepare the Orange Jello.  Instead of preparing the with the traditional method, you will make "Magic Mousse Jello."

Here's the directions in for the Magic Mousse in case your box doesn't have this on the side.

Add 1 1/2 cups boiling water to gelatin mix in large bowl;  stir 2 minutes until completely dissolved.  Whisk in Cool Whip until blended.

Put the Magic Mousse layer on top of your yellow Jello layer.  Place back in the fridge until set.  (May be up to 8 hours.)

Post-dinner update:  The jello didn't turn out exactly how I wanted.  The orange layer was so small, you could barely differentiate it from the yellow layer.  So sorry the picture isn't really great.  Maybe next time, I'll just add the cool whip to the top!  It was fun to try anyways.

Enjoy your treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment