I found this great tutorial on Delia Creates. I followed her directions, except for one major step. I didn't measure their necks with their collared shirt on, instead I just estimated. This resulted in much too small bow ties. As in, this wouldn't even fit Mr. Three's baby neck, too small.
This ended up being a good mistake because I had to modify the pattern to make them fit and I think it actually made them better. Instead of attaching the swimsuit hook to the ends of the fabric, I added approximately 3 inches of elastic to one end of the tie. I sandwiched the elastic between the layers of fabric and zig zag stitched it several times to secure the elastic and minimize fabric fraying. I folded the exposed end of the elastic into a loop and zig zag stitched it in place. I attached the swimsuit hook to the other end of the bowtie fabric and zig zag stitched it in place. This made the tie easily removable (without having to re-tie the bow each time), and gave it the extra length and stretch to fit all three of my boys' necks.
I love these dapper boys!
Check in later in the week (hopefully) for a quick tutorial for turning the tie scraps into a cute flower pin for the girls (or in my case, for me, since I don't have any daughters :)).