Monday, September 12, 2011

More Monster Fun

Remember our little monster play date?  Well, I guess there are lots of others who have had monsters on the brain (Halloween is just around the corner...) as well.

Here's a cute monster glove puppet and magnetic monsters I found online.  These are on my to do list.

I was thinking about the monster eye sort activity that we did earlier, and I wanted to somehow turn the basic concept into a game for my boys.  Here's what I came up with.  I hope you enjoy it with your own "little monsters."

Make a Monster Game (um, I am running out of creative game names...)


You will need:
playdough (make some of your own or just grab some at the store)
number die
color die
colored wiggle eyes
dish to place eyes in (so they don't end up all over your kitchen floor...)

How to play:
First, color a blank wooden cube with corresponding colors from you wiggle eyes (I only had 5 colors, so I left one blank).  If you want to be able to reuse your die, just color white dot or square stickers the colors you want, then stick them on.

Make a monster body out of playdough for each player.

Roll your colored die and number die together.


Add the same amount of eyes in the color your dice show.

If you have only 5 colors like me, you have two options.  You could color the blank space rainbow, and let your monster have rainbow colored eyes, or you could simply let them re-roll to get another color or choose any color.


Remove the eyes before rolling again to create a new monster on the next turn.


To extend this activity, compare your monsters.  Who has the most eyes?  Which monster has the least?


This is great counting practice, but also a good activity to strengthen those little fine motor hand muscles.  Pinching and placing the eyes will exercise those fingers.

 

Mr. Two loved playing this game, and told me he wanted to play it again another day.  Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment