Friday, December 9, 2011

Note to Self: Toddlers, Icing Colors and Camouflage Cake

*Mr. Two's birthday is coming up, so we are shifting gears just for a few days and doing birthday fun, then we'll resume the Christmas cheer!

Dear Self,

The counter is not a safe place to put 12 little bottles of gel icing coloring that you borrowed to make a birthday cake.  Mr. Three can reach lots and lots of things on the counter.  When there's a will, there's a way.


If said toddler finds this little box of bottles, be prepared for one colorful adventure.  Count on colorful fingers and tongues.  Also prepare yourself to do a little detective work to figure out which of the twelve bottles matches the twelve color-labeled caps.


Good times I tell you!

Note taken.  Now on to the cake!

After figuring out which colors were which and recapping all bottles, I worked on Mr. Two's birthday cake.  He wanted an "army cake" so I decided to try my hand at making a camouflage cake.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out.

Here's the lowdown:


I used a white cake mix, following the directions to make the batter.


I divided the batter into four bowls and colored each bowl a different camouflage color.  I used green, a combination of green and teal, brown, and then I tried to use the copper coloring, but it looked so bad, I just added about 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder to the batter to make it darker and fix the color disaster.

Side note:  I think if I would have re-mixed the batter again (to get more air in the batter) after coloring it, the cake may have risen better (the box said to immediately pour the batter into the pans and bake after mixing).


Next, I randomly placed blobs of different colored batters in my two pans to create a camouflage look, then swirled the whole thing very gently with a knife just once (too much swirling and you'll end up with a yucky mess).


Bake and cool.

It looked so great, I'm almost tempted not to frost it, but let's face it, who wants to eat an unfrosted cake?


So a layer or two of chocolate and some plastic (washed) army guys on top, and we have ourselves an army cake!


Happy Birthday Mr. Two!  We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment