Monday, April 13, 2009

The Quiet Book


This is the big project I have been working on for several months now. I have been so close to finishing, and so I set a deadline: Easter. I gave it to Ben for Easter because I couldn't bear to keep it from him a minute longer. I started surfing the 'net, looking in Etsy shops and online for ideas/inspiration/tutorials to make a toddler quiet book of my own. Although there were some cute ideas out there, there wasn't one that I really loved. Then I thought, hey, I can just make my own. Being the nerdy teacher I am, I wanted it to have some educational value. Being poor, I needed to make it with cheap or on-hand materials. Being a girl, I needed it to be a little cute, even if it was for a boy. I have to say, this is the project I am most proud of to date. I hope you enjoy it. Ben seems to love it, too, so I couldn't be happier.
The cover. I used some cute patterned flannel for the cover and back. I sandwiched a piece of felt between the flannel to give it a little heft. I bound it with o-rings and tied some coordinating ribbon on the rings.
The dino has taggie spikes along his back.The foam wheels are attached with brads, so the wheels turn.A sweater to button up.Vinyl fish bowl has four felt fish to put inside.Pond is a zippered pocket to pull the ducks out of.Plane flies up and down on page.Each egg has a different animal that hatches from an egg inside.Eight ric rac legs that wiggle.Each barn door has a button farm animal behind it.The scoops snap onto the page, so you can sort them by flavor or make a pattern.

11 comments:

  1. That is soooo cute. Now I want to make one. I especially love the fish bowl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my holy fishbowl. You are A-MAZING! Are you for real girl?!! You are one incredibly crafty chick for sure! I am seriously in awe at your clever craftiness! I would love to emulate you someday... don't know if that day will come in this life. I mean, WOW! I seriously am blown away. Standing ovation chica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed at all of your work. This is really cool--Seth even said so!! You make a mother proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to be crafty!! do you want to make me one :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diana!

    It was so exciting to get your e-mail last night! AND, I *love* this awesome quiet book!!

    Can't wait to read more of your blog and see what you and Mike have been doing...your boys are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana,
    It's a really long story, but did you know that if you google "fish bowl quiet book" your blog comes up?

    I have been wondering for so long how you are doing and what you are up to! It's fun to see your family and your cute boys! I couldn't find your email address on here, but I would love to hear from you: michellesmknight at hotmail dot com.

    (And very cute quiet book, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you posted this awhile ago, but I just came upon it now. This is the cutest quiet book I have ever seen. my LO would love this. I don't think I could make one though. Great job though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What did you use for the barnyard animals? I love this book! I think it is so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The animals are buttons I found at Michaels and JoAnn's. They came in a farm pack and I had to buy a Southwestern pack for the horse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for answering my questions! I really appreciate it!

    I was also wondering is the background for all of your pages felt? My friend and I are going to make them over Thanksgiving, and I am just wondering what all I need to buy before hand! :)

    Thanks so much for your help and your willingness to share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pages are felt, but the cover is flannel. Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete