Saturday, July 31, 2010

Locked In... or is it Out?

Yesterday, we had a little adventure at Grammy's House.  After Grammy left to a hair appointment, the boys and I were in the house alone.  Mr. Three and I were in the game room.  Mr. Two and Mr. One were in the family room.  Separating these two rooms is a large set of french doors.  Because the game room was an addition to the original home, the french doors are the old outside doors and still lock.  Mr. One and Mr. Two were running between the two rooms while I was sitting at the computer feeding Mr. Three.  Mr. One ran into the game room and teased Mr. Two through the glass door.

Then I heard the door slam and a click.  


Oh no!  Mr. Two locked the door.  Now this wouldn't be such a big deal if he actually knew how to unlock doors.  Or if there was anyone else in the house to unlock it for him.  Basically, we were locked out.  Or in.  Or is it out?


This played out a bit like a scene from Home Alone.  First Mr. Two, after realizing what he did, went straight to the snack area at the kitchen counter and gleefully helped himself to a few snacks.  Then he wandered around, getting out toys and such and enjoying his newfound freedom.  "I made my family disappear...I made my family DISAPPEAR!"


Then, it sunk in that he really was alone (mind you, I could still see him through the glass and knew he was fine).  I figured someone would be home soon, so all was alright.  Well, as the minutes passed, Mr. Two started to panic.  I reassured him we were ok, but then he started crying.   What's a mom to do?

Well, play superhero of course.  Luckily, there is also a large window in the kitchen that opens to the game room, and fortunately it was open.  I shoved aside a few knick knacks and climbed through the window, hopping off of the kitchen counter to open the door and hug tearful Mr. Two.  Apparently, Mr. One was quite impressed.  He exclaimed, "Wow Mom, that was COOL!"  


If I knew that's all it took to get a little admiration, I would have jumped through a window years ago.

Maybe not.

Lesson learned:  First, do not let a two year old lock you in (or is it out?) of a room.  Second, teach said two year old how to unlock doors.  Third, sometimes you just have to think like a superhero to save the day.

3 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of you guys reenacting this little situation. And Tucker even looks scared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was such a fun story. the hardest is when they are locked in the car. lol glad you were in some air conditioning and were able to save the day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, love the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete