Sunday, May 26, 2013

Ice Cream Dough

This summer, I have a plan:  work first, then play.  Simple enough, right?  We are going to do chores together and some "homework" first, then we will play.  I am going to try to do at least one fun activity with my kids each day, a simple science experiment, a game, an outing, so forth.  Nothing elaborate or overwhelming.  I want my kids to enjoy this break we have together, but I don't want to be stressed about making everything a big production.  They help me around the house, then I have
more time to set up some extra activities.  Sounds good.   Hopefully it will work.

Friday was the first day of summer for us.  We woke up and pulled weeds (well, I did most of the pulling, but I intended on the boys helping...).


 In the afternoon, we made ice cream dough to play with (1 1/2 cups cornstarch and 3/4 cups hair conditioner).  I used a strawberry conditioner and some red food coloring for strawberry ice cream, put some bead "sprinkles" in a cup, and pulled out an ice cream play set I found at Ikea.


 The three oldest Mr.'s enjoyed taking imaginary ice cream orders and molding the dough into the cones and cups.


(Mr. Four entertained himself with empty backpacks.)


I loved watching them at their imaginary play, and joined in the fun a bit.  This dough is really fun to play with, messy but fun.  As I was taking some pictures, Mr. One tells me, "Mom, come take a picture of this."


I look over at his creation, a bit puzzled.  He then explains, "Look, it's Darth Ice Cream!"

And Star Wars takes over again.  Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. hehe, at least you tried. Maybe one day there will be a whole day where star wars isn't mentioned... :)

    ReplyDelete