Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Musings


This Mother's Day, I felt myself in a retrospective mood. I thought about what it means to be a mother, which naturally led me to reflect on all of the mothers in my life. To each of these amazing women, I say thank you for inspiring me to be a better mom.

First, I have to recognize my own sweet mother. Her patience, support and unconditional love have left an indelible mark on my heart. To call her mother is an honor. To call her friend is a blessing.

Second, I have an amazing mother-in-law. She is the model of behind-the-scenes, selfless service and devotion. Mike is an amazing man because of her nurturing.

From my creative grandmothers, from you both, I have inherited the passion to create and a generous helping of spunk.

Susan, my "other mother" taught me that you don't have to bear children to have a mother's heart.

I have had several teacher-mothers throughout my schooling. Two in particular, Laurie White and Avis McEachon, taught me that you do not need to give birth to a child to love them, to open your heart to them, and to share your knowledge with them.

To all of the mothers in my life I haven't mentioned, I am continually inspired to be a better mother by all the wonderful women I come in contact with (sisters, friends, aunts, people I meet in the grocery store or the doctor's office...). Thank you. I am blessed.

1 comment: