Monday, April 6, 2009

First Friday


Last Friday was the first Friday of April. In Phoenix, they have an event called "First Fridays" where basically all the galleries and museums in the downtown area are open on the first Friday of each month for free.

We love free.

We can only afford free right now.

We heard that the Phoenix Children's Museum was open for First Fridays (another reason to love Target, who sponsors this event) so we went. We got there at about 7:30 pm. It started at 6:00. The crowd was HUGE! I had no idea this was so popular. (Sometimes I forget that I'm not the only frugal mom in the world.)

We waited in line and got a number. 144. Oh boy, this was gonna be a long wait. I'm not good at waiting. They warned us it could be up to two hours before we got in. I thought this would be misery.

I was wrong, as usual.

My boys found rocks and sidewalk chalk and lots of other kids to entertain themselves with. Andrew scribbled all over the sidewalk then spent some time running up and down the handicap access ramp. He found some kids to play with, running and laughing. Ben found the landscape rocks and watched them fall out of his hands and onto the sidewalk. He was completely fascinated. Mike and I watched and smiled, realizing that to them, this was just as much fun as a museum.

After an hour, they called our number. We had to pry the boys away from the sidewalk.

Don't get me wrong, the museum was wonderful. Full of crafts and rooms to play and explore in. A total kid paradise. They loved it.

I am just amazed at just how little children need to be happy. They were just as happy playing with rocks as with the creative displays inside. They were just happy being together and sharing family time.

Anything can be fun if you're with the ones you love. Even rocks.

Again, I keep learning that the most important things in life aren't really things.

1 comment:

  1. That's cute Diana... I remember going to first Friday! And that picture of Mike & Ben is adorable!

    ReplyDelete