Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Love is... the Hunky Meat Addition

Because those of you that are reading this probably know me, it comes as no surprise that I am not a big fan of meat. Especially meat that still looks like the original animal. If it's looking at me, it doesn't go on my plate. I can't eat pork at Waldo's BBQ. Too many piggies watching me. At a friend's wedding several years ago, one of the courses was lobster. Whole lobsters. The waiter brought out the platter and positioned it with the poor suckers staring right at me. I couldn't eat a bite.

If I were a pioneer, or a farmer, I would probably end up a vegetarian, or starve to death.

I am not a vegetarian, don't get me wrong. I do like to eat meat. I just prefer to distance myself from the actual butchering and preparing as much as possible. I'm wimpy. I admit it.

The point of this long essay is to say I would much rather be going to the dentist than be prepping a big piece of pork. That is what I had to do last night in preparation for tonight's awesome dinner. (Seriously, you will thank me for trying this recipe out from Make it and Love It.) I am frugal, so I decided to buy the bone-in pork shoulder that was on sale for 99 cents a pound. What I didn't realize is that this particular cut still had thick skin and fat (EWW!!) on it.

Because my husband loves me, he took care of the meat prep while I distracted myself with the veggie cutting. He saved me from any potential meat prep trauma. I love this man! He did it without complaining. Love is helping others, even when the job is unpleasant. What a lucky woman I am.

No picture this time. This is a good thing.

3 comments:

  1. Yuck! I can't handle the raw meat thing either. I guess I wouldn't have made a very good pioneer. But the finished product looks GOOD! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind cutting it up. As long as I don't have to kill it! That's Clayton's job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha! You are too cute and funny! I dont like preparing whole chickens.

    ReplyDelete