Thursday, January 27, 2011

Indoor Snow Day

Mr. One had a half day yesterday and I wanted to do something fun for the afternoon.


In truth, it is in the 70's here and perfect park weather, but I thought it would be fun to have a "snow day."


I told the kids to bundle up for our activities.  They looked at me like I was crazy and had to be persuaded to put on gloves hats and scarves.  Mr. Three was not happy about the hat and promptly took it off.


After gearing up, we poured on the snow.  (foam snowflakes and cotton balls)


We had snowball fights with the cotton balls and enjoyed examining the snowflakes.  It's not often I allow them to throw things in the house, let alone at each other or me.  Mr. Three loved picking up the flakes and shredding the cotton balls.  (I had to keep a close eye on him, lest he try and eat any of our snow.)

I gave therm tongs to collect and sort the flakes when we were through playing.  This was a more enjoyable (and a more challenging) way to clean up, especially with the big gloves still on.


In truth, I had intended to end our little snow day with a mug of hot chocolate and marshmallows, but I forgot not to let them have a dessert after lunch, homework and dinner preparation called, so we'll save that treat for another day.


I so often forget to stop and play with my kids.  Just a few minutes to get down at their level and be a kid myself is so refreshing.  I know they really appreciate it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment